What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
SEO is optimization of a website for better performance in search engines like Google, Yahoo etc. The goal of SEO is when a person is searching for certain keywords (broad, specific and branded) inside search engines our optimized website to show up at the top of the results.
How to use SEO?
1. First we have to choose no more than 3-4 keywords
for a web page which we are going to optimize. These keywords can be repeated many times but with certain density in the texts of our webpage.
– for new websites it is better to work only with broad keywords. It is harder to place well in search results for broad keywords but they bring considerable traffic.
– specific keywords – they are a few words or a sentence which are found in the optimized webpage.
– unique or branded keywords – often neglected by web admins. This negligence can be used by competitors.
2. Posting links to websites with high PageRank
slowly in a period of at least 3 months. Google updates its page rankings every 3 months. Posting of too many links at once signals Google that someone is artificially trying to increase a website’s PageRank.
– ask the website administrator directly or offer a promotion in return for publishing your link.
– it is better to publish your link in websites with similar topics and PageRank above 6.
– link publishing in directories which do not filter the entries does not count for Google and these links do not get any link juice by Google.
– publishing articles with links inside blogs and via comments. Some blogs allow publishing of live links but some of them automatically mark the link as ‘nofollow’ (non trustworthy).
– make a plan how many links you want to publish and distribute the work over at least 3 months.
3. Make a list of the main competitor websites.
– google your most desired keywords.
– create a list of the top 10 results for each keyword.
– google your competitor’s websites names (‘domain.com’ or ‘link: domain.com’ not just ‘domain’) the result will show about how many links the competitor has.
– use a few sources for more exact results.
4. Publish links in the first 100 websites which have links to your competitors.
– google your chosen keywords and work on publishing links in the first 100 websites for each keyword.
– publish links in the websites of your competitors.
– create a list with websites in which you would like to publish links and steadily publish them in a period of at least 6 months.
5. Check the health of the websites in which you want to publish link.
– check the PageRank of the page in which you want to publish a link.
– check the PageRank of the subpages linking toward the page in which you want to publish a link.
– check the number of outgoing links in the page in which you want to publish a link. The outgoing links there are the less link juice you will get. The links leading to a page with a different topic decrease the ability of the page to give link juice .
– publish links in websites which have existed for at least 2 years.
6. Optimize the title tag.
– add the desired keywords in the title tag. If someone searches for these keywords they will appear in bold in the search results.
– do not add your company name or domain name in the title tag. If you really want to add the domain name do it like this: ‘keyword – domainname.com’.
– the title tag has to be the page topic.
– note the page differences in the title tags to avoid the duplicate penalty.
7. Use header tags h1 to h6 – add the keyword: “h1” keyword “h1” on the top of the page.
– add no more than 1 h1 tag to a page.
– add at least 1-2 paragraphs between the header tags.
8. Write the keywords as italics, bold, emphasis (em)
9. Do not use Flash and CSS “span” tags in the text formatting.
Use the usual html tags.
10. The articles in the optimized pages should not contain too much or too little keywords.
– you can use plurals, misspellings and acronyms (instead of SEO write ‘Search Engine Optimization‘.
– use similar keywords instead of ‘big umbrella’, ‘huge umbrella’ etc.
11. Page depth
– pages that take more than 3 clicks to reach are deemed less important.
12. Internal links
– create more internal links to a page you want to receive more link juice.
– make internal links with anchor text.
– the higher a link is in the HTML the higher it will be ranked in the search engines.
– links from a page about ‘hats’ to a page about ‘hats’ will receive higher link juice.
13. Include the targeted keywords in the anchor text (internal/external link text).
– vary the anchor text for a keyword slightly so that Google does not become suspicious.
14. Link the anchor text keyword not to the homepage but to the page about the keyword.
1. For determining which keywords people search the most for certain topic:
– Google Adwords
2. Determining the number of people who search for certain keyword:
– Google Adwords
– External Tool
– SEO Book Keyword Suggestion Tool
3. Determining the keywords density inside a page – not very accurate because the search engine criteria is kept secret:
– Term Target
4. Determining the links to a website:
– Site Explorer
– Google “link:” query prepend
– Domain Stats
– Backlink Analyzer
5. Determining website popularity:
6. Determining keywords ranking:
– Rank Checker
– Keyword Rankings
– Rank Checker
7. Firefox tools:
– SEO for FireFox
– Google Analytics
– Advanced Google Searches
– Crawl Test
– Google Webmaster Tools
9. Checking website‘s age: